Austin Engineering Ltd. is an award-winning engineering firm located in Trail, B.C. that provides geotechnical, civil, structural and hydrotechnical engineering specializing in dam safety and hydropower.
As an innovative industry leader, we are currently seeking a Senior Hydrotechnical Engineer to join our team in Trail, BC. This senior position offers challenge, responsibility and an opportunity to play a key role in industrial, hydropower and dam safety projects. The successful candidate will lead, and work alongside our dynamic team, take pride in their work, and be comfortable with hydraulic modeling, physical modeling, flood studies and design of hydraulic structures.
Our team provides responsive and innovative engineering solutions to clients across British Columbia and ensures consistent, high-quality service. We are driven by our commitment to excellence, innovation and client success.
To apply for one of our current vacancies please use the form below, including a covering letter and details of the job you are interested in.
- Lead hydrotechnical projects, conduct site visits, work with junior engineers and make final decisions
- Design hydraulic structures, including channels, spillways, dykes, berms, rip-rap and gabion protection systems
- Be part of a team conducting dam safety reviews
- Physical modeling of spillways, dams and hydraulic structures
- Recommend sedimentary abatement solutions and complete flood hazard assessments
- Maintain and foster relationships with clients and subcontractors
- Critically check work, reports and drawings
- Confidently prepare tender documents, bid packages and construction contract oversight
Skills & Qualifications
- 5-8 years’ experience and currently registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with APEGBC
- Familiarity with drainage design, flood mapping and inundation studies
- Collaborative, team player with strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills
- Enthusiastic, driven, self-starter who embraces change with flexibility and a positive attitude
- Ability to prioritize work capacity while maintaining service excellence and meeting client needs
- Superior organizational and time-management skills and the ability to delegate effectively
- Class 5 driver’s license (or equivalent)
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Are familiar with FortisBC, Teck and BC Hydro
- Have experience with dam safety (specifically reviews) and channel design and restoration
- Take pride in their work
- Are self-directed and feel comfortable either working alone or leading a tea
What we offer:
- Growth and opportunity in an employee-owned company
- Professional business environment and career development
- Dedication to innovation with in-house hydraulics lab outfitted with printers, CNC milling and laser cutting for 3D printing and modeling
- Commitment to driving industry standards in dam safety through research
- Work culture that promotes diversity and collaboration
- Opportunity to make your mark in a growing company
If you are a highly motivated self-starter, please send a PDF of your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations and why you want to work with Austin Engineering using the form below or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6, 2019.
We thank all candidates for applying, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.